Sunday, September 2, 2012

Fall is around the corner!

Fall is my favorite time of year! I'm not trying to rush things but with the summer being so hot I am looking forward to some cool weather and pumpkin spice latte's from Starbucks :) Being that my husband and I just bought a house, we are lacking in the decorations department. Also because we are new homeowners it means we are on a tight budget. I am obsessed with Pinterest and always try to find different ideas on there for decorating.  Unfortunately, I often find they end up not being very cost effective or require a lot of supplies that I don't have. So that being said, I have come up with a few ideas that both look stunning and don't break the bank.


This is a beautiful decoration for the fall that cost less than 5 dollars to make. You can make anywhere from one to five depending on the space you are working with.  I made three, which you will see later on.



These are all the supplies needed for the project. One wine glass, One votive candle, Moss, Potpourri, and a miniature gourd. I had tons of wine glasses from my bachelorette party last year but you can buy them at any thrift store or Dollar Tree. To add more kick to the decoration, you can buy different size wine glasses to provide some depth. The gourd you see in the picture came in a pack of 5 at the Dollar Store along with all the other supplies.



The first step was to add the Potpourri. I used a pumpkin spice blend to go along with my fall theme because it had a lot of oranges and browns in it. When the glass is inverted this is the item that will be on the top, so if you don't like the Potpourri you could add the gourd, leaves, or anything else you may prefer.


The next step is adding the moss. It's quite messy so I recommend having a broom around :) You only need a little bit(I used a golf ball size amount for the picture seen). You don't have to use moss; you can use any kind of vase filler I just liked the rustic look of the moss for this project.


Last but not least, invert the glass and place the votive on top. I also used a pumpkin scented candle to go with the theme but I don't plan on burning them so it was more for the look. The moss can go everywhere when flipping, so make sure you have them on the surface you want before you flip them over. You can make as many as you want and as stated earlier different sizes looks great as well. You can make all the glasses the same or accent one like I did in this picture. I wanted to put some leaves on the table to finish the look but didn't have any on hand. The options are endless but the final result is great!

Also for something different but along the same lines, I made this decorative piece made with most of the same supplies. I just replaced the wine glass with a light bulb ornament purchased at Hobby Lobby for 75 cents and added the foliage to finish the piece. Both decorations are stunning in their own way and there are endless possibilities to shift the look. Have fun!



Posted by EE

No comments:

Post a Comment