Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A++ Creme Brulee

My all time favorite dessert is Creme Brulee. I'm sad that I only discovered this within the past 2 years and missed out on it for so long! I had been having a craving for it for a while, so I decided I would attempt to make it myself instead of paying a fortune for a small sample size at a restaurant. The end result was fantastic so I decided the world should know how easy it is to make.

The ingredients are as follows:

6 egg yokes
6 tablespoons of white sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups of heavy cream
2 tablespoons of brown sugar

And 4 Ramekins





Seriously that's it. I was surprised how limited the ingredients were for such a seemingly high tech dessert but that's really all you need.

The first step is setting up a double boiler. I don't have one so I made the poor mans version by filling saucepan with water and a glass bowl. It works :) I put it on low while i proceeded with the following steps...




Next I separated 6 eggs.... I didn't show a picture as to how to do that because i didn't have a 3rd hand but it's easy. Put the yokes in a medium bowl, and save the whites to make a nice omelet in the morning. 



Add 4 tablespoons of the sugar...


And the vanilla...


Stir until thick and creamy...

Meanwhile pour the cream into a saucepan...


Heat over medium heat until it almost comes to a boil


This part takes a while so I took pictures of the dog who is always by my side in the kitchen :)


Once the cream is warm enough immediately remove it from the heat and pour it into the egg mixture...


Mix well...


By now the double boiler should be steamy enough. Pour the mixture into the bowl


Cook until the batter is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (about 3-5 minutes)


Pour the mixture evenly into the 4 ramekins... they should be about 1/2 inch from the top. Do not overfill...



place them on a cookie sheet and place in a preheated 300 degree oven for 30 minutes...


Remove from the oven when done and let cool until room temperature


Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour (4 or 5 preferred)...



Now for the fun part! We went to the hard ware store and bought a blow torch, but if this part scares you, you can place under the broiler until the sugar melts which is about 2 to 3 minutes 


Combine the remaining white sugar, and add the brown sugar...

Mix well...


Evenly disperse the sugar mixture over the top of all 4 ramekins...

 


Place them back on the cookie sheet for safety...


And torch away! (I let the husband do this part)



 

 




Each Creme Brulee only takes a couple of seconds with the torch and the end result is fantastic! This recipe is just as good as any high end restaurant's, and cost half the price. This is a fun dessert that will wow any guest at a dinner party. Enjoy! 


Posted by EE

No comments:

Post a Comment