Sunday, October 28, 2012

Mom's Famous Corn Chowder

Being that it's a cold rainy, quite miserable 43 degree day, I thought it would be perfect to make a nice warm soup. Also as luck would have it, our furnace it not working, so currently we are huddled up in the living room with an electric fireplace heater.... Again Perfect day for soup :)

The only soup my husband and I can ever seem to agree on is my mothers corn chowder. It's so light warm and delicious, once you try it, it will be the only soup on your mind as well. So here it goes...

Ingredients:

2 large potatoes (I used 3 because i like my soups chunky)
1 onion
4 Tablespoons butter
3 cups frozen corn (fresh is better if available)
1/2 cup pimientos
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb bacon (optional)

There is a secret ingredient which will be revealed later and it truly makes the soup. Stay tuned for that :)


I decided to cook mine in a crock pot because I had other things to make today, but you can do this much quicker in a pot over the stove, the only difference is you need to boil the potatoes first until they are tender.

The first step is cooking the bacon. I used Turkey bacon here as it's slightly healthier, and i just like how it tastes better. I baked it instead of frying because i hate how it makes the house smell like bacon for days if you fry it.  Set the oven for 350 and bake it for 5-6 mins


While the bacon is baking, I started by adding the corn to the crock pot. As mentioned earlier fresh corn is better, you would just cook it and cut it off the cob, but I used frozen and it tastes amazing.


After the corn is added you need to peel and chop the potatoes. (If you like skin leave it on as it tastes just as good. my husband will not touch anything with potato skins) 



Once the potatoes are chopped, add them to the crock pot...





The next step is the hardest... Open a jar of Pimentos and pour them into the pot :) The thought of these at first made me cringe, but they really do add a nice flavor to the chowder, and on top of it add some nice color!




Now it's time for the special ingredient mentioned earlier..... Brown Sugar! Believe it or not this is the ingredient that makes the soup. Without it it's just not as good. I added two Tablespoons to this particular batch.


Next add four tablespoons of butter.. No sense in melting it since it's going into a crock anyway...




It's starting to come together!.... Time to peel and chop the onion. I used a sweet onion because it's my favorite, but if you prefer another go for it. Also use your discretion as to how much onion you want to add. I love how it flavors the soup, so I used a whole one. If you have a house of onion haters, just use half...




By now the bacon should be done baking and cooled...


Place it on a chopping board and cut it into small bite size pieces...



When done chopping, add it to the rest of the ingredients...


Next measure out 3 cups of milk (yes I know this is only a 2 cupper, i added more) and add it to the rest of the ingredients ..




Last but not least, measure and add 1 cup of heavy cream. This is important because it makes the soup thicker. If you don't feel like using heavy cream you can add a couple of tablespoons of flour and 1 more cup of milk to the soup...




Stir all the ingredients before you set the crock pot so you get a better flavor throughout and everything cooks evenly. Add salt and pepper


Then set the crock pot and take a nice nap :) My Crock pot seems to cook fast, so I set it on low for 4 to 5 hours. If you don't have that much time, you can set it on high for 2 to 3 hours.



Come back hours later and Voila! You just made an amazing fall soup that will be sure to impress anyone who has the pleasure of tasting it... Hope you love this recipe as much as we do!



(Biscuit recipe coming in a later blog)


See? We really all were cuddled by the fire... :) 



Posted by EE

No comments:

Post a Comment